Student Frequently Asked Questions
Parent Frequently Asked Questions

Student FAQ

What is the best way to contact the Office of Student Conduct?

The Office of Student Conduct may be reached by calling 205-348-8234 or you may visit us in Mary Burke Hall – East, Room 173. We are directly across from the Regions Bank building at the corner of Hackberry Lane and Bryant Drive. Parking is available in the Mary Burke East lot with a Student Conduct temporary parking pass that can be obtained from the front desk.

To whom does the Student Code of Conduct apply and when does it apply?

The Student Code of Conduct applies to all students enrolled in the University. The term “student” includes anyone admitted to the University and registered for, taking, or pursuing undergraduate, graduate, or professional studies or courses at the University, both full-time and part-time, as well as persons attending classes on campus or off-campus. Persons who are not officially enrolled for a particular term but who have a continuing relationship with the University as well as persons participating in orientation are considered “students.”

Why does Student Conduct enforce university policies off campus?

You are a UA student regardless of whether the alleged misconduct takes place on the campus, across the street from campus, or off campus.  The University has a vital interest in the character of its students and, therefore, regards behavior at any location (on-campus or off-campus) as a reflection of a student’s character and fitness to be a member of the student body.

What happens if I do not show up for the meeting?

If you fail to attend your scheduled meeting, a registration hold will be placed on your record and you will be unable to register for classes or make changes to your schedule.

What if I have a hold on my student account?

If you have a hold on your account, it is most likely for one of the following reasons:

  • Failure to attend a scheduled meeting with your conduct investigator/hearing officer
  • Failure to complete the sanctions assigned to you.

You will have to call the office at 205-348-8234 and attend a meeting or complete the sanction(s) before the hold can be removed.

Parent FAQ

How are incidents reported to the Office of Student Conduct?

The Office of Student Conduct receives student non-academic misconduct citations (SNAMs), copies of UAPD and Tuscaloosa Police Department reports, and referrals from individuals and University departments.

My student received a summons letter.  What happens next?

Any student who is contacted by the Office of Student Conduct is expected to schedule an appointment with their assigned Conduct Investigator by the deadline date noted in the summons letter. During the meeting, the Conduct Investigator will review the alleged violations, Code of Student Conduct and conduct process with the student. The student will have the opportunity to review the documents and share any additional information with the Conduct Investigator. If the Conduct Investigator finds there is enough information to support the conduct charges then the student has the option of resolving through the informal or formal resolution process. Detailed information about the conduct process can be found in the Code of Student Conduct.

My student has been alleged to have violated the Code of Conduct, what can I do to help?

Encourage your student to review the Code of Conduct and schedule a meeting with his/her assigned Conduct Investigator as soon as possible, remind your student to be respectful of the conduct process, and support your student throughout the process.

Are you going to tell me if my student receives a letter?  Will I be notified?

The Office of Student Conduct sends all correspondence via email to the student’s Crimson email account.  Parents or guardians are only notified when a student is found responsible for a Code of Conduct violation related to alcohol or other drugs when he/she is under the age of 21.

Will you talk to me about my student’s case?

Unfortunately, we cannot talk to you about your student’s case unless we receive written permission from the student based on the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Once we have a release form on file, we welcome any questions and/or concerns parents or guardians have regarding their student’s case.

My student has a meeting with the Office of Student Conduct, can I attend or a lawyer?

Students have a right to be assisted during the investigation by any adviser they may choose, at their own expense. The adviser may be an attorney, but cannot be a potential witness or party in the matter or a related matter. An adviser has no right to speak or participate directly in any aspect of the conduct process. The accused student must speak on their own behalf and communicate directly with the Conduct Investigator.

I received a parental notification letter.  What does that mean?

It means that your student was found to have violated the Code of Student Conduct related to alcohol or other drugs while under the age of 21.

What are common sanctions?

Sanctions are assigned at the discretion of the Conduct Investigator or conduct hearing panel. Examples of sanctions outlined in the Code of Conduct include warning, probation, educational sanctions (papers, letters of apology, and/or alcohol or drug education), restitution, community service, suspension. This list is not exhaustive, and sanctions are assigned to meet the individual needs of a student.

What is the purpose of sanctions?

Sanctions proposed by Office of Student Conduct staff are intended to be educational and to help your student learn from the incident.

My student was suspended; what does my student have to do before returning to the university?

Your student needs to contact the Office of Student Conduct to schedule a meeting with a Conduct Investigator to discuss returning as well as the completion of any required sanctions.

Will anything be noted on my student’s record?

Any violation of the Code of Conduct is noted on the student’s disciplinary record. The disciplinary record is a separate record from the academic record; violations are not noted on a student’s transcript or diploma. However, many graduate or professional schools and some employers may request a summary of the disciplinary record.

My student’s court case was dismissed; can my student’s record be cleared in the Office of Student Conduct?

The University’s conduct process is educational, remedial, and administrative in nature and is separate from the court system. A student can file a request to have a minor conduct violation removed from their disciplinary record during the semester of their graduation or thereafter.